Can I just say, you won’t regret making this, but HOLY CRAP it’s rich! I’m pretty good at shovelling down my desserts, but even I had to stop after a tiny slice. Hmm, okay, maybe not TINY… let’s go with “smaller-than-usual”. The salted caramel topping I added may or may not have contributed to the sinfulness that is the torta caprese.
250g dark chocolate, chopped (I used Nestle dark chocolate buttons, any good quality cooking chocolate will do)
250g sugar (I brought it down to 170g, you can use caster, raw, or white depending on what’s in your pantry)
150g butter, room temperature, cubed
6 eggs (that’s right. Six.)
1 tbsp baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Place chocolate into the TMX bowl and grate for 5-10 seconds on speed 8. Set aside.
- Place almonds into the TMX bowl and mix for 4-6 seconds on speed 6. Add to chocolate.
- Place remaining ingredients into the TMX bowl and mix for 20 seconds on speed 7.
- Add chocolate and almonds, continue to mix for 30 seconds on speed 6.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 22-24cm tin (or large spring-form pan), lined with baking paper on the bottom.
- Bake for approx. 1 hour. Done. I actually had some salted caramel spread from Christmas, so I popped some on top of the cake. A dark chocolate ganache would be pretty yummy too!