(Recipe taken from the Everyday Cooking for Every Family cookbook)
As I mentioned in my previous post, I love a meal that can be made entirely in the TMX. When I first met my consultant, she did say that the Chicken and Cashews recipe was one of her favourites, so I thought I’d better give it a crack!
Side note: I was a little concerned that the ingredients didn’t seem to have a real flavour kick, so to be safe I marinated my chicken cubes overnight with some soy and white pepper.
Another note for the rice purists – the gravy is made with the same liquid used to cook your rice. If that doesn’t tickle your fancy, perhaps chicken stock might be a good replacement?
200g-400g Basmati rice, rinsed in the basket until the water clears (I used 400g so we’d have leftovers for lunch)
200g chicken, cut into 2cm cubes
300g broccoli, broken into florets (I had cauliflower so I used that instead)
1 carrot, thinly sliced (didn’t use this)
3 celery sticks, cut into 4cm lengths
6 shallots or spring onions, cut into 4cm lengths (I used spring onion)
1/2 a capsicum (I don’t like not using everything so I used 1 whole green capsicum)
1 small can of bamboo shoots, drained (I didn’t bother)
1 tbsp sesame seeds (didn’t bother)
1-2 handfuls of unsalted cashews (I used salted, didn’t seem to be a problem)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
100g dry sherry (I didn’t have any so I used Chinese cooking wine which turned out fine)
Soy sauce to taste
300g cooking liquid, retained from steaming (or chicken stock)
- Place water into the TMX bowl. Insert basket with rice.
- Place the chicken into the bottom of the Varoma dish and cook for 13-15 minutes/Varoma temperature/speed 4.(Timing depends on amount of rice used, I went for the full 15)
- Remove rice once cooked and place in the ThermoServer or other warming dish (in case you were wondering, the TMX does a pretty damn good white rice!)
- Loosely place veggies on top of the chicken (or on the Varoma tray). Sprinkle with sesame seeds, cashew nuts and the sesame oil. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes/Varoma temperature/speed 4 or until the veggies are cooked to your liking.
- Keep chicken and veggies warm (I removed the Thermoserver lid and let the Varoma dish sit on top of the rice)
- Place the cornflour, dry sherry and soy sauce into the TMX bowl with the cooking liquid/chicken stock. If you don’t have much cooking liquid left, just top it up with some warm water/stock.
- Cook for 3 minutes/100 degree/speed 5.
- Dish out rice, chicken and veggies, ladle sauce over. Dunzo.
I’d definitely recommend marinating the chicken prior to cooking this dish, playing around with the flavouring of the ingredients. You could chop up some onions/garlic/chilli and add it to the marinade for more flavour. But apart from that, it’s a great one-stop meal for a weeknight!