(Recipe adapted from this blog)
This recipe makes soooo many meatballs! I cooked some pasta to accompany the dish and ended up with two big dinner serves as well as two office lunches.
Note: the original recipe doesn’t call for salt but I definitely think the mince needs some seasoning, so I’ve added this to the ingredient list.
Another note: It’s super handy to have a pot or dish that you can pop on an open flame to brown your meatballs, and then throw straight into the oven. I use a Bessemer dish most days, but also absolutely adore a pot that I bought at Kmart for under $30!
2 slices of bread (I freeze the end slices of my loaves of bread for occasions like these)
1 onion, peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic (I used 4)
Big bunch of herbs (I used parsley)
1tsp sea salt or 1/2 tsp table salt
600g minced beef
400g tinned tomatoes
1 tbsp vegetable stock concentrate
100ml red wine
1 tbsp tomato paste
Cheese for topping
Pasta to serve (I cooked half a standard pack of San Remo curly wurlies)
- Break the slices of bread into smaller pieces and throw into the Thermomix bowl. Chop for 10 secs/speed 7. Set aside.
- Place the onion, garlic and herbs into the TMX bowl and chop for 10 secs/speed 5.
- Tip half of your onion/garlic/parsley mix out into a separate bowl. Add the salt and beef into the TMX bowl, then press your Turbo button a couple of times to mix all of the ingredients.
- Tip your mince out and place the remaining onion mixture back into the TMX bowl. Add tomatoes, stock concentrate, wine and tomato paste, and cook for 15 mins/Varoma/speed 2.
- While the sauce is cooking, roll the mince into balls and set aside. You want to be careful not to make them too big, otherwise they take longer to cook.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Brown your meatballs, pour the tomato sauce into your pot, top with cheese and bake for 35 mins. During this time you can wash a few dishes up, then prepare your pasta.
- Mix in cooked pasta with your meatballs and sauce. Mix. Enjoy!