(Recipe from this blogpost)
Let me just say that this cake is PERFECT for lazy bums like me who can’t be bothered with presentation. It looked dreadful before I put it in the oven but came out looking practically shop-worthy! It tastes lovely too and it’s so easy to make.
I made the lemon curd first and set it aside to cool, while I made my cake mix. Having never made lemon curd before, I decided to follow the recipe exactly, but I reduced the sugar quantity in the cake mix.
60g lemon juice
150g self-raising flour
– To make the lemon curd, pop all of the curd ingredients into your Thermomix bowl and cook for 5 mins/100 degrees/speed 4. Remove and set aside.
– Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
– Rinse and dry your TMX bowl. Pop your cake mix ingredients in the bowl, and combine for 30 secs/speed 5.
– Line a tray with baking paper, and spread out half the cake mix evenly on the base. There didn’t seem to be a lot of cake mix so I actually didn’t spread it across the entire base.
– Pour the curd over the base. It will be a bit runny, but don’t worry.
– Dollop teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the top of your curd. I wish I could tell you that the picture below captures the efforts of a three-year-old, but sadly this is the creation of a grown-ass woman.
– Bake for 30 mins. The self-raising flour will work its magic and you’ll end up with a rustic cake that’s full of jammy, lemony goodness! I can’t wait to make this again.