I’ve had a rare baby-free weekend, and instead of making reservations at the hottest, UN-baby-friendly joints in town, I decided that I would spend it cooking.
I am so terribly uncool.
Anyway. I managed to try a whole bunch of new recipes that I’ve now frozen, which saves me having to slave in the kitchen when the family is back. The little miss LOVES her carbs, dairy and meat, but hasn’t really taken to loving veggies. So I decided that it was time to go down the sneaky veggie route.
And if anyone lectures me on how I shouldn’t disguise vegetables for my child, well, you are more than welcome to come to my house and show me how you get a toddler to eat a piece of broccoli without the word “NO.” coming up once. You can come by anytime. Interested?
So I decided I’d start out with a veggie-packed soup that Arianna could have with some cheesy toast, rice or pasta. I found this recipe which looked great because it was so versatile, and I could just run to the supermarket and grab whatever was in season (when I say this, I mean whatever is on special.)
I’ve listed the veggies I used this time, but as long as you aim for 600g of vegetables, you can pretty much use whatever you want.
3 cloves of garlic
1 onion, peeled and quartered
A good lug of olive oil (between 10-25g is fine)
Freshly ground pepper
A handful of parsley (optional, I didn’t have any)
600g chopped vegetables (I had a few pieces of sweet potato, 1 carrot, two stalks of celery, a handful of asparagus and a quarter of a stalk of leek)
700g vegetable stock
Some grated parmesan, to serve
- Chop garlic and onion for 5 secs/speed 5. Scrape down the sides of your TMX bowl.
- Add the oil and saute for 5 mins/Varoma/speed 1 with the MC off.
- Add all the other ingredients except the cheese, and cook for 20 mins/Varoma/speed 1. Leave the MC off, and I put a kitchen towel above 3/4 of the hole to prevent spattering.
- Gradually increase the dial to speed 9 once done, blending to the desired consistency. I blended my soup for about 30 seconds.
- Serve with grated parmesan and more cracked pepper if you need.